As part of Trillium Mutual’s commitment to protecting rural Ontario we are very proud to announce our new partnership with PrevTech Innovations. To help farmers protect their livelihood PrevTech Innovations, based out of Quebec, has developed an innovative product that reduces the risk of barn fires. Their mission is to reduce the risk of fires on farm operations by identifying smaller issues before they become much larger, more costly ones.
Almost every single farmer can tell you about someone they know or an experience they have had with a barn fire. According to the Canadian Farm Builders Association, over 40% of farm fires are due to electrical problems as barn fires continue to cause millions of dollars in damages every year. This makes fires one of the leading causes of losses to agricultural operations across Ontario.
As a farmer ask yourself these questions:
- What if you knew ahead of time that a pump, fan or motor was going to fail or breakdown?
- What if you knew that an electrical panel was overheating?
- What if you knew the moment the power was out in a specific building?
- What if you could have all of this information in your pocket?
- How would a barn fire affect your operation?
How It Works
PrevTech’s units are simple to install, non-invasive and monitors the overall health of a farms’ electrical systems. Smart sensors within the units can detect electrical faults and temperature changes. These sensors then trigger a notification to the farmer and their electrician alerting them to the problem. All of the notifications and data are stored in a secure dashboard, easily accessible to you, the farmer, through their website.
PrevTech not only provides support in identifying the problem and source of the issue, they also help guide you and your electrician to the appropriate corrective action. This ensures that you are supported and protected before, during and after an issue is detected. As a farmer, you know the ins and outs of your operation the best. The PrevTech systems are meant to support you and provide additional information and guidance to keep you up and running!
*The PrevTech units are CSA, Canadian Standards Association, certified which means they have been independently tested and certified to meet recognized standards for safety and performance.*
Trillium Mutual’s PrevTech Program
Trillium Mutual Insurance will provide the hardware (retail cost $1675 plus H.S.T.) to interested Agri-business Members free of cost. The Member would be responsible for the installation costs and the annual monitoring fee of $995 plus H.S.T.
Each Trillium Member that participates in this program will have their base insurance rate stabilized for the protected farm structure(s), any fixed equipment therein, as well as produce and livestock housed therein.
Effectively for three succeeding policy terms, following installation and certification, the base premium will not go up. The insurance premium may rise due to:
- Annual inflation increasing the insured values;
- Policy changes that increase the insured values;
- Removal or loss of any prior discounts;
- Changes in deductible amounts
This offer is available to ALL Trillium Members, new and current.
- Instant Notifications
- Alerts are sent by SMS and/or email to yourself (the farm owner) and your electrician
- Electrical & Thermal Detection
- 24/7 Monitoring
- Reduces Operational Downtime
- Maintain a Healthy Electrical System
- Peace of Mind Protection
- Service and Support
- Trouble shooting assistance and identification of required preventative measures to be taken
What It Protects Against
PrevTech utilizes smart sensors connected to the main electrical panel to provide 24/7 support. These sensors can detect a variety of anomalies, both electrical and thermal, including:
- Defective fans
- Faulty Ballast
- Overheating electrical panels
- Moisture in the junction box
- Damaged motors and pumps
- Much more!
How Do I Get a PrevTech Unit to Protect my Farm?
PrevTech units are currently available by contacting your Trillium Mutual Insurance Broker.